And How

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lipstick Kisses

When I was young, my sister Karen and I used to wake up early in the morning before our mom went to work.  She'd make us breakfast and we'd fall back asleep until it was time to get ready for school.  While we were asleep, mom would sneak off to go to work, but not before planting a freshly lipsticked kiss on each of our faces.  We were, of course, careful to remove the lip stains off our faces before going to school, but it always made me feel good to know my mom didn't want us to think she had forgotten to tell us goodbye.

Now that I'm a parent, I realize that I will never be able to kiss my babies enough. I think, on the conservative side, I probably give them around 1000 kisses a day, each.  They never seem to mind, but they don't usually ask for it either (as if I'd give them a chance...).  And I'm noticing that I'm starting to have to fight for some of those kisses as they get older.

Lately, Penn  has not wanted to go to bed without "a snuggle."  Our deal is that if he and Jude lay down quietly for a few minutes without playing, knocking on the door, or turning the lights on, I'll come back in for a kiss and a snuggle.  Usually, they are both asleep by the time I get back in there.  So, reminded of my sweet mom, I started going back in and planting a set of fresh, pink lips on their foreheads or cheeks so I have proof that I actually kept my word.

I promised them candy if they sat still for me to take this picture:)  It almost worked.
I know that one day, lipstick kisses (from mom) won't seem so cool, but for now, I'll take 'em however I can get 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment