And How

Monday, February 14, 2011

My Favorite Valentine Memory...

Pack and I got engaged in August of 2004, so February of 2005 was our last Valentine's Day as a dating couple.  We already had decided where we were going to live, come April, and Pack was getting ready to move in for a couple of months alone before the wedding.

To celebrate Valentine's Day, we had a picnic in our unfurnished (unheated) formal living room.  We sat on the blanket that Pack bought me for our engagement picnic and drank from the mugs he bought as well.  Luminaries lit the room (even though it was in the middle of the day) and we ate a an eclectic mix of food from our two favorite places (chicken from Chick-fil-a and a dessert from Applebees...what simple tastes we had then, lol).  We ate and lay on the blanket, not really believing that after almost five years of dating, we would be married in just a couple of months.  This Valentine's Day was a real celebration!

We, of course didn't take any pictures, but that is still a vivid memory, six years later (which doesn't seem like so long until I think of the two children, numerous jobs, and several houses we've had since then).  This was my favorite Valentine memory, but the love I have for my Valentine is so much deeper than I ever though was possible back then (you know, when I thought he was perfect).  I'm so thankful for my partner, my best friend, and for the way he loves me.

Proverbs 30:18-19
There are three things that amaze me—
no, four things that I don’t understand:
how an eagle glides through the sky,
how a snake slithers on a rock,
how a ship navigates the ocean,
how a man loves a woman.

1 comment: